Saturday, January 19, 2008

Eno as Soundtrack

A few posts ago I brought up the idea of ambient and chill-out music as perfect movie and TV soundtracks. Film and shows often use the underappreciated mood music to set the tone of some scene or dialogue. I'm working on a video right now at work to convey a new philanthropy program to a client of mine, and the music is a major piece of what's making or breaking it. (In fact, in the storyboards i developed, I describe the ideal soundtrack as "ambient")

So skip to today, my buddy and I are driving home from a day snowboarding, and I put on the Trainspotting soundtrack. As Brian Eno's "Deep Blue Day" comes on, my friend immediately say, "oh!! this is from the scene where they get high on heroin for the first time!" The reason he remembered that scene? B/c of Eno's perfectly synced lullaby, a beautiful soundscape that makes you feel like you're floating, or high.

No comments:

Blog Archive